5 of the Very Best Tools for Moving Heavy Equipment
Over 400 work-place fatalities involving heavy machinery occur each year.
This is why if you work in a dangerous occupation, it’s important to practice safe working habits. These safe habits are especially important when it comes to moving heavy equipment.
Read below for the five best tools to use when moving heavy equipment.
1. Utility Machine Skates
Utility machine skates are perfect tools to move medium loads. And machine skates are easy to use in areas where using a forklift or crane is not possible. When using them, remember:
- Utility skates have a weight capacity of 37.5 tons.
- They work best when moving machinery in straight lines or turns.
- Their wide stance provides stability and weight distribution.
- Their low profile design allows maximum load clearance while needing minimum load jacking.
2. Compact Swivel Skates
Compact swivel skates allow maximum moving capacity. Features of these compact swivel skates include:
- They come with full directional control so they don’t have to move in straight lines. This allows you to avoid obstacles.
- They can use steel or polyurethane-coated rollers, depending on the surface your equipment will be on.
- They have a weight capacity from 1.5 to 12.5 tons per skate.
3. Straight Line Skates
Straight line skates are best for moving heavy loads up to 100 tons that can stick to a straight, designated path. These skates sit low to the ground, making lifting and setting down of large machinery easier and more accessible.
Straight line skates are customizable for your business’s particular needs. Here are a few options to look out for:
- Long, slim, or short models
- Ability to protect the floor from damage
- Quality material
4. Roller Dollies
Roller dollies are for moving equipment that is heavy but not over-sized. There are a variety of dollies available, so it’s important to choose the right one for the job.
When moving heavy equipment, machinery moving dollies should be your choice. These roller dollies require less power to move due to the central load bearing plate. Most can move up to 15 tons and rotate 360 degrees.
When moving large objects with a roller dolly, you should also use a ratchet strap. The ratchet strap will help secure your equipment to help prevent any accidents.
5. Toe Jacks
Toe jacks are essential when trying to move heavy equipment without a forklift. They help lift the corners of heavy objects up off the floor, allowing you to slide your moving equipment under the object.
These are often used with one of the four previously mentioned moving tools. Toe jacks can help make any heavy equipment moving job easier.
More Tips for Safely Moving Heavy Equipment
When it comes to moving heavy equipment, safety is important to ensure your workers don’t end up in the fatality statistics.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Conduct proper training.
- Always wear safety gear.
- Be aware of load maximums.
- Communicate with co-workers.
- Understand your equipment.
Contact us if you’re looking for more help moving heavy equipment or are in the market for custom moving tools. And don’t forget to browse our product catalog to see our selection of customizable skates!